If you’re outside the US, you won’t be able to find Hulu on the Amzon Appstore unless you’re signed in with a US-based Amazon account.
To download and watch Hulu on your Firestick, you need to change your Amazon Appstore location to the US, and use a VPN, to fool Hulu into thinking you’re watching from inside the US.
This process is easy. All you need is a reliable VPN.
How to watch Hulu on Firestick outside the US: Quick Guide
There are three key steps to watch Hulu on your Firestick outside the US.
First, you need to get access to the US Amazon Appstore. Hulu is a US-based streaming service and is only available on the US Appstore.
Secondly, if you don’t already have a Hulu account, you need to fool Hulu into thinking you’re in the US so you can register for a Hulu account.
And lastly, you need to maintain Hulu thinking you’re in the US so that you can view the content. Otherwise, it will be blocked.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Go into your Firestick settings and go to “Country Settings”
Input a valid US address and zip code (Google “US address and postcode”)
Click update and re-register your account on the Firestick
Connect to a US server
Download Hulu from the Amazon Appstore
Login to your Hulu Account or create one (see more below)
Enjoy watching Hulu on Firestick outside the US
How do I create a Hulu account outside the US?
Creating a Hulu account outside the US can be tricky because the streaming service requires a US payment source. There’s a couple of ways you can get around this:
- You can ask a friend living in the US to create a Hulu account for you
- You can get an American credit card to pay for a Hulu subscription
- Get a US Hulu gift card from mygiftcardsupply.com (Mygiftcardsupply is a trusted and reliable website where you can purchase a variety of gift cards from anywhere in the world.)
Options one and two won’t work for everyone. The easiest way to create a Hulu account is using gift cards. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Go to mygiftcardsupply.com
- Search for Hulu cards
- Choose between a USD$25, USD$50, USD$100 gift card (note that standard Hulu without ads costs USD$11.99/month)
- Select if you want to make a one-off purchase or a repeat purchase every few months
- Proceed to checkout and confirm your purchase with your email address
- You’ll receive an email with a link. Click on that link, and that will give you access to your Hulu gift card
- Return to www.hulu.com and click start your free trial
- Enter your gift card code
- Click redeem, and you’ll be prompted to make a Hulu account
- Where it asks for a postcode, put any US postcode you want, 90210 for example.
- Connect to a US server with NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month) and enjoy Hulu on Firestick outside the US
Why isn’t Hulu available on my Firestick?
You can’t find Hulu on the Firestick Appstore because Hulu is an American streaming service. It’s only available in the US.
Your Firestick will default to the country you set it up in. If you’re in the UK, you shop from the UK Appstore. If you’re in Australia, you shop from the Australian Appstore, and so on.
Therefore to download Hulu on your Firestick you need access to the US Appstore.
Why do I still need a VPN after downloading Hulu on my Firestick?
Hulu doesn’t have the rights to broadcast its content internationally. It will block customers outside the US from accessing its content to protect itself from potential copyright and licensing issues.
Every time you go online you’re given a unique IP address. This IP contains information that discloses your location when going online (like the area code on a landline phone). Hulu can access this information and if it finds you’re outside of its broadcast zone (the US) it will block you from accessing its content.
Even though you changed your Firestick location to the US, your IP is still based in the country you’re in.
To get around this, you need to trick Hulu into thinking you’re connecting to it from within the US. VPNs like NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month) allow you to do that. These VPNs can provide you with an anonymous internet connection and an IP address from a country of your choosing. All you need to do is connect to a US server with one of these VPNs, and you’ll be able to watch Hulu outside of the US.
Will any VPN work with Hulu?
To watch Hulu outside the US, you need to use a VPN that is compatible with the streaming service.
Hulu doesn’t have the ability to block an entire VPN, but it can block and blacklist IP addresses that the VPN provides. For lesser VPNs, this can be an issue because they don’t have measures to get around Hulu’s blocks. Inevitably all of the IP addresses are blacklisted, and the VPN will no longer work with Hulu
When Hulu identifies an IP address provided by NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month), these VPNs will close that IP address and open a new one. Not only does this allow you to watch Hulu anywhere in the world reliably on your Firestick, but this cat and mouse game also prevents all of the IP addresses from being blacklisted by Hulu.
The best VPNs to watch Hulu on your Firestick
The BEST VPN of 2021Number of servers: 5,000+ | Speeds: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 62 countries | Devices supported: 6 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes NordVPN is the most widely-used VPN in the world. And its easy to see why. It’s a polished app that delivers fast connections (more on this later) to a massive network of VPN servers. It’s the most reliable at unblocking popular streaming services too – US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. This is because NordVPN hired full-time technical team (that’s responsible for monitoring its servers connections with popular TV streaming services) and has been aggressively investing in its network of IP addresses in key locations. Another interesting thing to note is that NordVPN is an industry leader in its development of Nordlynx technology. Nordlynx is built using the WireGuard, a new VPN tunnelling protocol designed to outperform current standards (OpenVPN and IPSec). The benefits, according to NordVPN, are dramatically faster transfer speeds while connected to a VPN. My tests – New Zealand to London – confirm that Nordlynx is currently the fastest VPN on the market. However, the difference isn’t dramatic, a few Mbps is all.
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 70%!
(30-day money-back guarantee
The BEST low-cost VPNNumber of servers: 1,000+ | Speed: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 275 in 100 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes If you’re looking for an excellent VPN, with an even better price tag, Ivacy ($1.16/month) is a great option. This VPN has all the features you need to stream BBC iPlayer, in HD, from any country in the world. I’ve been testing the app recently on Mac, PC, Android, iOS and FireStick and the results have been impressive – unlocking BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. with ease. The Ivacy app is a little different in regards to its UX (user experience). Instead of just selecting a UK server, you need to select the specific BBC iPlayer server. Don’t worry, this isn’t a bad thing – by connecting to a dedicated BBC iPlayer server, it simply means that you’re connecting to an IP address that Ivacy knows works with BBC iPlayer. For an extra $1.99/month (£1.74) you can add-on a dedicated IP. This will buy you sole access to an IP address in a country of your choice, meaning you won’t have to share your IP (and speeds) with any other use. I don’t recommend this though, using the regular Ivacy servers is enough 95 per cent of the time.
7-DAY TRIAL – $0.99
(30-day money-back guarantee)
A very reliable and fast VPNNumber of servers: 3,000+ | Speed: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 160 in 94 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes ExpressVPN is still one of the best VPNs you can buy. However, we’ve got it ranked in the number three spot for a couple of reasons. First of all, it’s the most expensive VPN on the market. This was understandable when it was also the fastest and most reliable VPN too. But now it’s not. NordVPN is. ExpressVPN has recently been struggling to unblock some big streaming sites – BBC iPlayer and BeIN Sports – too. And importantly, it ALWAYS has servers that are open with major streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video etc. ExpressVPN is usually very good at playing Cat and Mouse with online streaming sites (apart from BBC iPlayer). Meaning, whenever one of its servers is blacklisted it creates a new one – giving its users a constant stream of servers that aren’t blocked. Needless to say, this is a valuable attribute if you’re looking for a VPN to unblock streaming sites. Its app is easy-to-use and free to download on pretty much any device you can think of. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, FireStick, Android TV, Roku, PS4, Xbox, Linux, even Apple TV (with a workaround). It’s got it all covered. The app is another main reason this VPN is so good at unblocking TV streaming sites (that claim they block VPNs) is that its software takes a pragmatic approach to user management. While other VPNs tempt customers by promising them access to hundreds/thousands of servers in multiple countries, ExpressVPN does things differently. With ExpressVPN you only have a handful of server locations to choose from. Once you select your location the app takes care of the rest. Assigning you to the fastest available server that’s not oversubscribed. This simple technique is so important, as it keeps ExpressVPN’s servers operating at lightning-fast speeds and prevent its IPs from getting blacklisted for “abnormal” usage in the first place.
SPECIAL OFFER – 3-MONTHS FREE!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 82%!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
5. CyberGhostNumber of servers: 6,000+ | Speeds: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 200 in 90 countries | Devices supported: 7 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes CyberGhost is one of the more established VPNs on the market. It has a well-established, and well-tested global network of servers that perform well. From my tests over the past several months, CyberGhost has no trouble at unblocking major streaming services – US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max etc. This VPN performed well at maintaining download speeds, well above 65 per cent of my regular (non VPN) ISP speed. That said, there’s nothing really unique about the service. Which forces you to look at its price-point. And there’s nothing special here. Its short-term $12.99/month price tag puts is well above the industry average of $10.10/month. Similarly, its long-term $2.75/month for 3 years deal isn’t much of a “deal” either. Oddly, CyberGhost’s most unique feature is its a 1-day, no obligations, free trial. This is an appealing offer to customers who are new to VPNs. However, it’s important to remember that most reputable VPNs will offer customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so try not to be too seduced by the offer.
SPECIAL OFFER – 1-DAY FREE TRIAL
(30-day money-back guarantee)