Those Who Wish Me Dead has just been released in cinemas here in NZ. However, there’s a simple method that allows you to watch Angelina Jolie’s new film from the comfort of your home.
All you need to do is gain access to HBO Max and you’ll be able to stream the new film from anywhere in the world.
US HBO Max customers can stream Those Who Wish Me Dead right now. And there’s a simple way you can do the same in NZ. All you need is a reliable VPN.
In this article, I’ll show you how you can get a VPN that will allow you to watch Those Who Wish Me Dead in NZ.
- How to watch Nomadland in NZ
- How to stream Mortal Kombat in NZ
- How to watch Syfy in NZ: It’s EASY and only takes 2-minutes!
How to watch Those Who Wish Me Dead in NZ: Quick Guide
Those Who Wish Me Dead is available to stream on HBO Max. Unfortunately, HBO Max isn’t available in NZ. Yes, you can go on the website. However, you won’t be able to access any of the content. You’ll run into errors like “HBO Max is not available in your region.”
To gain access to HBO Max in New Zealand, you need to fool the streaming service into thinking you’re trying to access its content from within the US.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
Total Time: 4 minutes
How to make an HBO Max account in NZ
However, HBO uses a second layer of security to stop customers outside of the US from accessing its content. To sign up for HBO Max, you need to pay using an American form of payment. There are a few ways you can get around this:
- You can ask a friend or family member in the US to create an HBO Max account for you
- You can use an American Express card
- You can purchase an HBO Max gift card from mygiftcardsupply.com and create an account from anywhere in the world. (Mygiftcardsupply is a trusted and reliable website where you can purchase a variety of gift cards from anywhere in the world.)
The first two options aren’t eligible for most people. The easiest way to create an HBO Max account in NZ is using gift cards. Follow these steps below to create an HBO Max account using gift cards in NZ.
- Go to mygiftcardsupply.com
- Search for HBO Max cards
- Choose between a USD$25, USD$30, USD$50 gift card (note that standard HBO Max costs USD$14.99/month)
- Select if you want to make a one-off purchase or a repeat purchase every few months
- Proceed to checkout and confirm your purchase with your email address
- You’ll receive an email with a link. Click on that link, and that will give you access to your HBO Max gift card
- Connect to a US server on ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month)
- Create an account at www.hbomax.com
- Go to HBONOW.com/gift and enter the 10 or 12 digit code from the back of your gift card.
- Choose your State or Territory, enter your ZIP Code (you can do this by googling) and then choose Continue.
- Click I have an account: Choose the Sign in link. Enter your account email and password. Then, choose Sign In and Redeem
- Return to www.hbomax.com
- Enjoy watching HBO Max in New Zealand
Why do I need a VPN to watch HBO Max in NZ?
HBO Max hasn’t been released in NZ. It’s only available in the US. This is because HBO only has the rights to broadcast its content in the US.
HBO doesn’t have international broadcasting rights, and to avoid copyright and licensing issues, HBO stops anyone outside of the US from accessing its service. This is why you’re running into the “HBO Max is not available in your region” error.
A VPN will make it look like you’re connecting to HBO Max from within the US. This means the streaming service will think you’re in its broadcast zone, and the content will be unblocked.
How does a VPN unblock HBO Max?
VPNs work by encrypting all of your internet data and sending it to one of their servers around the world (that you can choose). Once your data reaches this server, it’s decrypted and sent to a local service provider. This process gives you an anonymous internet connection, so online services can’t see where you’re located, and it gives you an IP address from the country where the server is located.
The way HBO Max knows you’re outside of its broadcast zone is all to do with your IP address. Whenever you go online, you’re allocated a unique IP address. This IP contains information about your location. So when you connect to HBO Max, the service scans your IP, and if it finds you’re outside the US, it blocks the connection.
When you use a VPN, all you need to do is select a server in the US, and you’ll be given a spoof IP address based in the States. Now when you connect to HBO Max, the service will scan your IP address, see you’re in the US, and you’ll be able to access the content.
ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) are very good at working with HBO Max. These VPNs have servers worldwide, and they’ll allow you to watch Those Who Wish Me Dead in NZ comfortably.
Will any VPN work?
There are many VPNs out there. Some are good. Some not so good.
HBO Max is constantly trying to block VPNs from connecting to its service. It does this to protect itself from copyright and licensing issues. The best VPNs like ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) are very good at getting around these blocks. However, lesser VPNs struggle to stay ahead of HBO Max’s blocking techniques.
HBO blocks VPNs using one simple method. The service monitors for an abnormal (more than an average household) amount of connections coming from the same IP address.
IP addresses are expensive, and therefore lesser VPNs, especially free ones, don’t have many of them. The problem here is, these VPNs still have a lot of customers. In fact, they have more customers than IP addresses, which results in customers having to share IP addresses.
HBO knows this and uses it to its advantage. When it sees hundreds or thousands of connections coming from the same IP, it knows that it’s a VPN, and it blocks it. Over time lesser VPNs have all of their IP addresses blocked by HBO Max, and the VPN no longer works with HBO Max at all. This means you will no longer be able to access HBO Max in NZ, and more importantly, it means you could waste money on a subscription for a VPN that doesn’t work.
The best VPNs like ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) have measures in place to get around HBO Max’s blocking techniques. First, these VPNs have a lot of IP addresses, so the chance of you sharing an IP with other customers is less. Secondly, they stay one step ahead of HBO Max’s blocks by playing a game of cat and mouse with the streaming service.
On some occasions, IP addresses provided by ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) will be identified and blocked by HBO Max. When this happens, these VPNs will close that IP address and open a new one. This allows them to stay ahead of HBO Max, and it means you can watch HBO Max from anywhere in the world reliably. This means you’ll have access to Those Who Wish Me Dead, and all HBO Max exclusives in NZ, without running into issues.
How to watch Those Who Wish Me Dead in NZ
Once you have a subscription, you’ll then need to make an HBO account, (if you don’t already have one) using gift cards, and you’ll be able to watch Those Who Wish Me Dead from the comfort of your NZ home.
The best VPNs to watch HBO Max in NZ
The fastest and MOST reliable VPN of 2022Number of servers: 3,000+ | Speed: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 160 in 94 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes ExpressVPN is still the best VPN. And importantly, it ALWAYS has servers that are open with major streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video etc. ExpressVPN is usually very good at playing Cat and Mouse with online streaming sites (apart from BBC iPlayer). Meaning, whenever one of its servers is blacklisted it creates a new one – giving its users a constant stream of servers that aren’t blocked. Needless to say, this is a valuable attribute if you’re looking for a VPN to unblock streaming sites. Its app is easy-to-use and free to download on pretty much any device you can think of. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, FireStick, Android TV, Roku, PS4, Xbox, Linux, even Apple TV (with a workaround). It’s got it all covered. The app is another main reason this VPN is so good at unblocking TV streaming sites (that claim they block VPNs) is that its software takes a pragmatic approach to user management. While other VPNs tempt customers by promising them access to hundreds/thousands of servers in multiple countries, ExpressVPN does things differently. With ExpressVPN you only have a handful of server locations to choose from. Once you select your location the app takes care of the rest. Assigning you to the fastest available server that’s not oversubscribed. This simple technique is so important, as it keeps ExpressVPN’s servers operating at lightning-fast speeds and prevent its IPs from getting blacklisted for “abnormal” usage in the first place.
SPECIAL OFFER – 3-MONTHS FREE!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 82%!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
A very quick and trustworthy VPNNumber of servers: 5,000+ | Speeds: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 62 countries | Devices supported: 6 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes NordVPN is the most widely-used VPN in the world. And it’s easy to see why. It’s a polished app that delivers fast connections (more on this later) to a massive network of VPN servers. It’s the most reliable at unblocking popular streaming services too – US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. This is because NordVPN hired a full-time technical team (that’s responsible for monitoring its servers’ connections with popular TV streaming services) and has been aggressively investing in its network of IP addresses in key locations. Another interesting thing to note is that NordVPN is an industry leader in its development of Nordlynx technology. Nordlynx is built using the WireGuard, a new VPN tunneling protocol designed to outperform current standards (OpenVPN and IPSec). The benefits, according to NordVPN, are dramatically faster transfer speeds while connected to a VPN. My tests – New Zealand to London – confirm that Nordlynx is currently the fastest VPN on the market. However, the difference isn’t dramatic, a few Mbps is all.
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 70%!
(30-day money-back guarantee
The great budget VPN optionNumber of servers: 1,000+ | Speed: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 275 in 100 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes If you’re looking for an excellent VPN, with an even better price tag, Ivacy ($1.16/month) is a great option. This VPN has all the features you need to stream BBC iPlayer, in HD, from any country in the world. I’ve been testing the app recently on Mac, PC, Android, iOS and FireStick and the results have been impressive – unlocking BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. with ease. The Ivacy app is a little different in regards to its UX (user experience). Instead of just selecting a UK server, you need to select the specific BBC iPlayer server. Don’t worry, this isn’t a bad thing – by connecting to a dedicated BBC iPlayer server, it simply means that you’re connecting to an IP address that Ivacy knows works with BBC iPlayer. For an extra $1.99/month (£1.74) you can add-on a dedicated IP. This will buy you sole access to an IP address in a country of your choice, meaning you won’t have to share your IP (and speeds) with any other use. I don’t recommend this though, using the regular Ivacy servers is enough 95 per cent of the time.
7-DAY TRIAL – $0.99
(30-day money-back guarantee)
5. CyberGhostNumber of servers: 6,000+ | Speeds: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 200 in 90 countries | Devices supported: 7 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes CyberGhost is one of the more established VPNs on the market. It has a well-established, and well-tested global network of servers that perform well. From my tests over the past several months, CyberGhost has no trouble at unblocking major streaming services – US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max etc. This VPN performed well at maintaining download speeds, well above 65 per cent of my regular (non VPN) ISP speed. That said, there’s nothing really unique about the service. Which forces you to look at its price-point. And there’s nothing special here. Its short-term $12.99/month price tag puts is well above the industry average of $10.10/month. Similarly, its long-term $2.75/month for 3 years deal isn’t much of a “deal” either. Oddly, CyberGhost’s most unique feature is its a 1-day, no obligations, free trial. This is an appealing offer to customers who are new to VPNs. However, it’s important to remember that most reputable VPNs will offer customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so try not to be too seduced by the offer.
SPECIAL OFFER – 1-DAY FREE TRIAL
(30-day money-back guarantee)