Mortal Kombat has just been released to cinemas in NZ. However, there’s an even easier way to watch the film without leaving the comfort of your home. All you need to do is gain access to HBO Max, and to do that, you need a reliable VPN.
US HBO Max customers can stream Mortal Kombat right now. However, HBO Max isn’t available here yet. To watch Mortal Kombat in NZ, you need to trick HBO Max into thinking that you’re trying to watch its service from within the US. You need a US IP address, and the easiest way to spoof your IP is using a VPN.
In this article, I will explain how to stream Mortal Kombat in NZ on HBO Max – it only takes 5 minutes.
- How to watch Nomadland in NZ
- Can I get BritBox in NZ? YES you can, and it only takes 2-minutes
- How to watch BBC iPlayer abroad: The EASY 2-minute method!
How to stream Mortal Kombat in NZ on HBO Max: Quick Guide
To stream Mortal Kombat in NZ, you need an HBO Max account.
HBO Max isn’t available in NZ. When you connect to its service, you’ll run into errors like this, “HBO Max is not available in your region.” To get around these errors, you need a reliable VPN like ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month).
Follow these simple steps to stream Mortal Kombat in NZ on HBO Max.
Total Time: 5 minutes
How to create an HBO Max account in NZ
After downloading ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) you’ll no longer run into the “HBO Max is not available in your region” error. However, recently HBO Max has started using a second layer of security by only allowing payments for an HBO Max subscription from a US credit card or PayPal account. There’s a few ways you can get around this:
- You can ask a friend or family member in the US to create an HBO Max account for you
- You can use an American Express credit card
- You can purchase an HBO Max gift card from mygiftcardsupply.com and create an account from anywhere in the world. (Mygiftcardsupply is a trusted and reliable website where you can purchase a variety of gift cards from anywhere in the world.)
The first two options aren’t eligible for most people. The easiest way to create an HBO Max account in NZ is using gift cards. Follow these steps below to create an HBO Max account using gift cards in NZ.
- Go to mygiftcardsupply.com
- Search for HBO Max cards
- Choose between a USD$25, USD$30, USD$50 gift card (note that standard HBO Max costs USD$14.99/month)
- Select if you want to make a one-off purchase or a repeat purchase every few months
- Proceed to checkout and confirm your purchase with your email address
- You’ll receive an email with a link. Click on that link, and that will give you access to your HBO Max gift card
- Connect to a US server on ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month)
- Create an account at www.hbomax.com
- Go to HBONOW.com/gift and enter the 10 or 12 digit code from the back of your gift card.
- Choose your State or Territory, enter your ZIP Code (you can do this by googling) and then choose Continue.
- Click I have an account: Choose the Sign in link. Enter your account email and password. Then, choose Sign In and Redeem
- Return to www.hbomax.com
- Enjoy watching Mortal Kombat in New Zealand
Why do I need a VPN to watch HBO Max in NZ?
HBO Max is a US-based streaming service that doesn’t have the rights to broadcast its content internationally.
To avoid licensing and copyright issues, HBO Max blocks customers outside the US from accessing its content. These geo-blocks are why you’re running into the “HBO Max is not available in your region,” error in NZ.
HBO Max will only work with a US IP address. A VPN will provide you with one.
How does a VPN work?
VPNs can provide their customers with an anonymous internet connection. They do this by encrypting all of the internet data on a customers device and rerouting it through one of their servers.
VPNs have a large number of servers that the customer can select. These servers are location-based, and they provide the customer with an IP address from the country in which the server is located.
This online anonymity allows you to fool HBO Max into thinking that you’re trying to access its service from inside the US. All you need to do is select a US server on ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month), you’ll be given a US IP address and you’ll be able to watch Mortal Kombat on HBO Max in NZ.
Will any VPN work with HBO Max?
No, not every VPN is compatible with HBO Max. Cheap VPNs may work with HBO Max for a short time, but eventually, they’ll be blocked by the streaming service.
This is because HBO Max tries to block VPN connections. It does this by monitoring for an abnormal amount of connections coming from the same IP address.
Cheap VPNs have more customers than IP addresses, and this results in users sharing IPs. When HBO Max sees hundreds or thousands of connections coming from the same IP, it knows that this isn’t a regular household IP and identifies the connection as a VPN.
When this happens, HBO Max blocks that IP. This will result in cheaper VPNs no longer working with HBO Max as all of their IP addresses will be blocked.
These VPNs have a lot of IP addresses, so sharing between customers is minimal. They have reliable US-based servers and most importantly, they stay one step ahead of HBO Max’s VPN blocking techniques.
When HBO Max identifies an IP address that has been provided by ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) these VPNs will close that IP and open a new one. This cat and mouse game means ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) will consistently work with HBO Max, and it will allow you to watch the streaming service reliably from here in NZ.
How to stream Mortal Kombat in NZ on HBO Max
Once you have a subscription, all you need to do is create an HBO Max account using gift cards, and you’ll be able to stream Mortal Kombat on HBO Max here in New Zealand.
The best VPNs to stream Mortal Kombat in NZ
The fastest and MOST reliable VPN of 2022Number of servers: 3,000+ | Speed: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 160 in 94 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes ExpressVPN is still the best VPN. And importantly, it ALWAYS has servers that are open with major streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video etc. ExpressVPN is usually very good at playing Cat and Mouse with online streaming sites (apart from BBC iPlayer). Meaning, whenever one of its servers is blacklisted it creates a new one – giving its users a constant stream of servers that aren’t blocked. Needless to say, this is a valuable attribute if you’re looking for a VPN to unblock streaming sites. Its app is easy-to-use and free to download on pretty much any device you can think of. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, FireStick, Android TV, Roku, PS4, Xbox, Linux, even Apple TV (with a workaround). It’s got it all covered. The app is another main reason this VPN is so good at unblocking TV streaming sites (that claim they block VPNs) is that its software takes a pragmatic approach to user management. While other VPNs tempt customers by promising them access to hundreds/thousands of servers in multiple countries, ExpressVPN does things differently. With ExpressVPN you only have a handful of server locations to choose from. Once you select your location the app takes care of the rest. Assigning you to the fastest available server that’s not oversubscribed. This simple technique is so important, as it keeps ExpressVPN’s servers operating at lightning-fast speeds and prevent its IPs from getting blacklisted for “abnormal” usage in the first place.
SPECIAL OFFER – 3-MONTHS FREE!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 82%!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
A very quick and trustworthy VPNNumber of servers: 5,000+ | Speeds: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 62 countries | Devices supported: 6 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes NordVPN is the most widely-used VPN in the world. And it’s easy to see why. It’s a polished app that delivers fast connections (more on this later) to a massive network of VPN servers. It’s the most reliable at unblocking popular streaming services too – US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. This is because NordVPN hired a full-time technical team (that’s responsible for monitoring its servers’ connections with popular TV streaming services) and has been aggressively investing in its network of IP addresses in key locations. Another interesting thing to note is that NordVPN is an industry leader in its development of Nordlynx technology. Nordlynx is built using the WireGuard, a new VPN tunneling protocol designed to outperform current standards (OpenVPN and IPSec). The benefits, according to NordVPN, are dramatically faster transfer speeds while connected to a VPN. My tests – New Zealand to London – confirm that Nordlynx is currently the fastest VPN on the market. However, the difference isn’t dramatic, a few Mbps is all.
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 70%!
(30-day money-back guarantee
The great budget VPN optionNumber of servers: 1,000+ | Speed: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 275 in 100 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes If you’re looking for an excellent VPN, with an even better price tag, Ivacy ($1.16/month) is a great option. This VPN has all the features you need to stream BBC iPlayer, in HD, from any country in the world. I’ve been testing the app recently on Mac, PC, Android, iOS and FireStick and the results have been impressive – unlocking BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. with ease. The Ivacy app is a little different in regards to its UX (user experience). Instead of just selecting a UK server, you need to select the specific BBC iPlayer server. Don’t worry, this isn’t a bad thing – by connecting to a dedicated BBC iPlayer server, it simply means that you’re connecting to an IP address that Ivacy knows works with BBC iPlayer. For an extra $1.99/month (£1.74) you can add-on a dedicated IP. This will buy you sole access to an IP address in a country of your choice, meaning you won’t have to share your IP (and speeds) with any other use. I don’t recommend this though, using the regular Ivacy servers is enough 95 per cent of the time.
7-DAY TRIAL – $0.99
(30-day money-back guarantee)
5. CyberGhostNumber of servers: 6,000+ | Speeds: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 200 in 90 countries | Devices supported: 7 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes CyberGhost is one of the more established VPNs on the market. It has a well-established, and well-tested global network of servers that perform well. From my tests over the past several months, CyberGhost has no trouble at unblocking major streaming services – US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max etc. This VPN performed well at maintaining download speeds, well above 65 per cent of my regular (non VPN) ISP speed. That said, there’s nothing really unique about the service. Which forces you to look at its price-point. And there’s nothing special here. Its short-term $12.99/month price tag puts is well above the industry average of $10.10/month. Similarly, its long-term $2.75/month for 3 years deal isn’t much of a “deal” either. Oddly, CyberGhost’s most unique feature is its a 1-day, no obligations, free trial. This is an appealing offer to customers who are new to VPNs. However, it’s important to remember that most reputable VPNs will offer customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so try not to be too seduced by the offer.
SPECIAL OFFER – 1-DAY FREE TRIAL
(30-day money-back guarantee)