If you’re trying to watch Canal+ in the UK, you’ll notice the streaming service doesn’t work. You probably are coming across errors when trying to stream Canal+ content.
This is because Canal+ is blocking you from accessing its service.
This can be frustrating, but there’s a very easy way to get around these errors. All you need is a reliable VPN.
This article will explain how to watch Canal+ in the UK using a reliable VPN. You can also read to the end of the article to find out which VPNs work the best with Canal+.
- How to watch Rakuten TV: The EASY method! (November 2021)
- Betfair not working with VPN? There’s an EASY 2-minute fix! (November 2021)
- How to put a VPN on your router! It’s EASY! (Updated November 2021)
How to watch Canal+ in the UK: Quick guide
To watch Canal+ in the UK, you need to change your UK IP address to a French IP address. This is very simple. Just follow these four steps:
Create a new account with ExpressVPN ($6.67/month)
Download and install the new VPN app
Select a server in France
Watch Canal+ in the UK
Why can’t I watch Canal+ in the UK?
Canal+ is a French streaming service that’s only available in France. It’s not “officially” supported in the UK.
If you try to access Canal+ in the UK without a VPN, you won’t get far. You’ll run into errors saying you need to be in France to use this streaming service or it’s unavailable in your region.
These are coming up because Canal+ does not have the rights to broadcast its content in the UK. And it prevents anyone outside of France from accessing its content.
It does this by scanning your IP address when you connect to its service. Your IP address is used to communicate between your device and Canal+, and it contains information about your location.
When Canal+ scans your IP, it can see where you’re located, and if you’re outside of France, it will block your connection.
How can I get around Canal+’s blocks?
The way to get around these blocks is to change your IP address to a French one. This way, Canal+ will think you’re inside its broadcast zone, and its content will be available for you.
The best way to get a French IP address is using a reliable VPN. VPNs make the process easy, and the best VPNs will allow you to watch Canal+ in the UK reliably.
How does a VPN work?
VPNs are very good at allowing you to watch Canal+ in the UK because they give you an anonymous internet connection, and they allow you to spoof your IP address.
VPNs encrypt all your online data into an unreadable code. This encryption process provides you with an anonymous internet connection, so Canal+ can’t determine your location.
Once that data is encrypted, the VPN will reroute it through its own servers. Once it reaches this server, it’s decrypted and sent to a local internet service provider in a country of your choosing. (In this case, France)
This will allow you to trick Canal+ into thinking you’re in France. And it will allow you to watch Canal+ in the UK.
Will any VPN work with Canal+?
Because VPNs are a well-known way to watch Canal+ outside its broadcast zone, the streaming service tries to block VPNs from connecting to its service.
It cannot block a VPN completely; however it can block the IP addresses the VPN provides.
It does this using three main techniques:
- The most common technique is to do with the IP addresses that your VPN can provide. VPN providers have more customers than IP addresses; this means that customers are forced to share the same IP addresses. Usually, only a household with a few devices uses the same IP address. When Canal+ sees hundreds or even thousands of connections coming through on the same IP address, it knows that it is a VPN, and it blocks it.
- Canal+ monitors for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks that can tip the service off you are using a VPN.
- Canal+ teams up with GeoIP databases like Maxmind to identify IP addresses. If the IP address your VPN provides is on one of these databases, Canal+ will be able to find out where in the world you are connecting to the internet from, and it will block you.
For free VPNs, these methods are difficult to get around.
The good news is, the best VPNs are able to get around these blocking techniques. When Canal+ blocks an IP address provided by a VPN, ExpressVPN ($6.67/month) or Private Internet Access ($2.03/month) will close that IP address and open a new one. This keeps them one step ahead of Canal+, and most importantly, it allows you to watch Canal+ in the UK reliably.
The best VPNs to watch Canal+ in the UK
The fastest and MOST reliable VPN of 2022Number of servers: 3,000+ | Speed: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 160 in 94 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes ExpressVPN is still the best VPN. And importantly, it ALWAYS has servers that are open with major streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video etc. ExpressVPN is usually very good at playing Cat and Mouse with online streaming sites (apart from BBC iPlayer). Meaning, whenever one of its servers is blacklisted it creates a new one – giving its users a constant stream of servers that aren’t blocked. Needless to say, this is a valuable attribute if you’re looking for a VPN to unblock streaming sites. Its app is easy-to-use and free to download on pretty much any device you can think of. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, FireStick, Android TV, Roku, PS4, Xbox, Linux, even Apple TV (with a workaround). It’s got it all covered. The app is another main reason this VPN is so good at unblocking TV streaming sites (that claim they block VPNs) is that its software takes a pragmatic approach to user management. While other VPNs tempt customers by promising them access to hundreds/thousands of servers in multiple countries, ExpressVPN does things differently. With ExpressVPN you only have a handful of server locations to choose from. Once you select your location the app takes care of the rest. Assigning you to the fastest available server that’s not oversubscribed. This simple technique is so important, as it keeps ExpressVPN’s servers operating at lightning-fast speeds and prevent its IPs from getting blacklisted for “abnormal” usage in the first place.
SPECIAL OFFER – 3-MONTHS FREE!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 82%!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
A very quick and trustworthy VPNNumber of servers: 5,000+ | Speeds: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 62 countries | Devices supported: 6 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes NordVPN is the most widely-used VPN in the world. And it’s easy to see why. It’s a polished app that delivers fast connections (more on this later) to a massive network of VPN servers. It’s the most reliable at unblocking popular streaming services too – US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. This is because NordVPN hired a full-time technical team (that’s responsible for monitoring its servers’ connections with popular TV streaming services) and has been aggressively investing in its network of IP addresses in key locations. Another interesting thing to note is that NordVPN is an industry leader in its development of Nordlynx technology. Nordlynx is built using the WireGuard, a new VPN tunneling protocol designed to outperform current standards (OpenVPN and IPSec). The benefits, according to NordVPN, are dramatically faster transfer speeds while connected to a VPN. My tests – New Zealand to London – confirm that Nordlynx is currently the fastest VPN on the market. However, the difference isn’t dramatic, a few Mbps is all.
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 70%!
(30-day money-back guarantee
The great budget VPN optionNumber of servers: 1,000+ | Speed: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 275 in 100 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes If you’re looking for an excellent VPN, with an even better price tag, Ivacy ($1.16/month) is a great option. This VPN has all the features you need to stream BBC iPlayer, in HD, from any country in the world. I’ve been testing the app recently on Mac, PC, Android, iOS and FireStick and the results have been impressive – unlocking BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. with ease. The Ivacy app is a little different in regards to its UX (user experience). Instead of just selecting a UK server, you need to select the specific BBC iPlayer server. Don’t worry, this isn’t a bad thing – by connecting to a dedicated BBC iPlayer server, it simply means that you’re connecting to an IP address that Ivacy knows works with BBC iPlayer. For an extra $1.99/month (£1.74) you can add-on a dedicated IP. This will buy you sole access to an IP address in a country of your choice, meaning you won’t have to share your IP (and speeds) with any other use. I don’t recommend this though, using the regular Ivacy servers is enough 95 per cent of the time.
7-DAY TRIAL – $0.99
(30-day money-back guarantee)
5. CyberGhostNumber of servers: 6,000+ | Speeds: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 200 in 90 countries | Devices supported: 7 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes CyberGhost is one of the more established VPNs on the market. It has a well-established, and well-tested global network of servers that perform well. From my tests over the past several months, CyberGhost has no trouble at unblocking major streaming services – US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max etc. This VPN performed well at maintaining download speeds, well above 65 per cent of my regular (non VPN) ISP speed. That said, there’s nothing really unique about the service. Which forces you to look at its price-point. And there’s nothing special here. Its short-term $12.99/month price tag puts is well above the industry average of $10.10/month. Similarly, its long-term $2.75/month for 3 years deal isn’t much of a “deal” either. Oddly, CyberGhost’s most unique feature is its a 1-day, no obligations, free trial. This is an appealing offer to customers who are new to VPNs. However, it’s important to remember that most reputable VPNs will offer customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so try not to be too seduced by the offer.
SPECIAL OFFER – 1-DAY FREE TRIAL
(30-day money-back guarantee)