If you’re trying to watch HBO Max in Mexico, the streaming service won’t work, you’ll run into an error saying “HBO Max is not available in your region.” Don’t worry, there’s a simple way to get around this isse.
All you need to do is trick HBO Max into thinking you’re watching the service from inside the US. It sounds complicated, however, it’s very simple. All you need is a US IP address.
The best way to get a US IP address is by using a reliable VPN.
In this article, I will explain how you can get a VPN that works with HBO Max, and show you how you can use it to watch HBO Max in Mexico.
- How to watch US Netflix in Mexico: It’s EASY and only takes 2-minutes! (May 2022)
- How to watch Hulu in Mexico: The EASY way! (May 2022)
How to watch HBO Max in Mexico: Quick Guide
To get a US IP address and watch HBO Max in Mexico, all you need to do is follow the simple steps below:
How to create an HBO Max account in Mexico
Using a reliable VPN like NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month) will remove the “HBO Max is not available in your region,” error that you’re coming across when going on the streaming service. However, if you don’t already have an HBO Max account, there is another slight hurdle you’ll have to get over before you can watch HBO Max in Mexico.
To create an HBO Max account HBO only accepts US forms of payment. This isn’t a problem, there’s a couple of techniques you can try to create an HBO Max account:
- You can ask a friend or family member in the US to create an HBO Max account for you
- You can use an American Express card
- You can purchase an HBO Max gift card from mygiftcardsupply.com and create an account from anywhere in the world. (Mygiftcardsupply is a trusted and reliable website where you can purchase a variety of gift cards from anywhere in the world.)
Realistically, the first two options won’t work for everyone. The easiest way to create an HBO Max account in Mexico is using gift cards.
To create a HBO Max account with gift cards, follow the simple steps below:
- Go to mygiftcardsupply.com
- Search for HBO Max cards
- Choose between a USD$25, USD$30, USD$50 gift card (note that standard HBO Max costs USD$14.99/month)
- Select if you want to make a one-off purchase or a repeat purchase every few months
- Proceed to checkout and confirm your purchase with your email address
- You’ll receive an email with a link. Click on that link, and that will give you access to your HBO Max gift card
- Connect to a US server on NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month)
- Create an account at www.hbomax.com
- Go to HBONOW.com/gift and enter the 10 or 12 digit code from the back of your gift card.
- Choose your State or Territory, enter your ZIP Code (you can do this by googling) and then choose Continue.
- Click I have an account: Choose the Sign in link. Enter your account email and password. Then, choose Sign In and Redeem
- Return to www.hbomax.com
- Enjoy watching HBO Max in Mexico
Why isn’t HBO Max available in Mexico?
HBO Max is only available in the US. It only has the rights to broadcast its content in the States. It doesn’t have international broadcast rights.
Similar to other streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Paramount+, HBO Max is subject to its licensing agreements. If it made itself available to customers in Mexico, it could face serious copyright and licensing repercussions.
To prevent this issues arising, HBO Max uses geo-blocking technology that prevents anyone outside of the US from accessing its content. These geo-blocks are the reason you’re running into errors when trying to connect to HBO Max.
How does HBO Max block my connection?
The way HBO Max blocks your connection is all to do with your location and your IP address.
Whenever you connect to the internet you’re given a unique IP address. This IP contains information that discloses your location. When you go online in Mexico, you’re given an Mexico-based IP.
When you connect to HBO Max, the service scans your IP address. If the IP isn’t from the US, HBO Max blocks it.
How do I get around HBO Max’s geo-blocks?
It’s actually quite simple. All you need to do is trick HBO Max into thinking you’re connecting to its service from within the US.
To do that you need a US IP address. This is where the VPN comes in. A VPN makes it very easy to change your IP address and unblock HBO Max.
How do VPNs work?
VPNs are able to provide you with an anonymous internet connection and an IP address in a location of your choice.
They do this by encrypting all of your internet data, and rerouting it through one of their own servers. Once the data gets to the server, it’s decrypted and sent to a local internet service provider.
The best thing about VPNs is you can select the server the data is sent to. To unblock HBO Max, all you need to do is select a US server and this would give you a US IP address.
When you connect to HBO Max, it will scan your IP, see that is based in the US and you’ll be able to access its content.
It’s that simple.
Does HBO Max block VPNs?
Yes, it does. HBO Max, like Netflix, Hulu and Paramount+ tries to block VPN connections.
It does this by monitoring for an abnormal amount of connections coming from the same IP address. For lesser VPNs, this can be a problem. Lesser VPNs have more customers than IP addresses and this means customers often have to share IP’s.
When HBO Max sees hundreds of connections coming from the same IP, it knows that that’s an IP provided by a VPN and it blocks it.
Will any VPN work?
Unfortunately, there are VPNs out there that aren’t trustworthy. Some VPNs are malicious and track your internet usage, some are cons that don’t provide the service they say they will and some don’t work with HBO Max.
NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month) are able to work reliably with HBO Max because they have measures in place to get around the streaming services blocks. Neither of these VPNs can guarantee that an IP address they provide won’t get identified and blocked by HBO Max, however, they can guarantee their service will consistently work with HBO Max.
This is because they play a game of cat and mouse with HBO Max. When HBO blocks an IP address provided by NordVPN ($3.49/month) or Ivacy ($1.33/month) these VPNs will close that IP address and open a new one. This means that they stay ahead of HBO’s blocks and it allows you to reliably watch HBO Max in Mexico or anywhere in the world.
The best VPNs to watch HBO Max
The BEST VPN of 2022Number of servers: 5,000+ | Speeds: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 62 countries | Devices supported: 6 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes NordVPN is the most widely-used VPN in the world. And its easy to see why. It’s a polished app that delivers fast connections (more on this later) to a massive network of VPN servers. It’s the most reliable at unblocking popular streaming services too – US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. This is because NordVPN hired full-time technical team (that’s responsible for monitoring its servers connections with popular TV streaming services) and has been aggressively investing in its network of IP addresses in key locations. Another interesting thing to note is that NordVPN is an industry leader in its development of Nordlynx technology. Nordlynx is built using the WireGuard, a new VPN tunnelling protocol designed to outperform current standards (OpenVPN and IPSec). The benefits, according to NordVPN, are dramatically faster transfer speeds while connected to a VPN. My tests – New Zealand to London – confirm that Nordlynx is currently the fastest VPN on the market. However, the difference isn’t dramatic, a few Mbps is all.
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 70%!
(30-day money-back guarantee
The BEST low-cost VPNNumber of servers: 1,000+ | Speed: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 275 in 100 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes If you’re looking for an excellent VPN, with an even better price tag, Ivacy ($1.16/month) is a great option. This VPN has all the features you need to stream BBC iPlayer, in HD, from any country in the world. I’ve been testing the app recently on Mac, PC, Android, iOS and FireStick and the results have been impressive – unlocking BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, etc. with ease. The Ivacy app is a little different in regards to its UX (user experience). Instead of just selecting a UK server, you need to select the specific BBC iPlayer server. Don’t worry, this isn’t a bad thing – by connecting to a dedicated BBC iPlayer server, it simply means that you’re connecting to an IP address that Ivacy knows works with BBC iPlayer. For an extra $1.99/month (£1.74) you can add-on a dedicated IP. This will buy you sole access to an IP address in a country of your choice, meaning you won’t have to share your IP (and speeds) with any other use. I don’t recommend this though, using the regular Ivacy servers is enough 95 per cent of the time.
7-DAY TRIAL – $0.99
(30-day money-back guarantee)
A very reliable and fast VPNNumber of servers: 3,000+ | Speed: >80% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 160 in 94 countries | Devices supported: 5 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes ExpressVPN is still one of the best VPNs you can buy. However, we’ve got it ranked in the number three spot for a couple of reasons. First of all, it’s the most expensive VPN on the market. This was understandable when it was also the fastest and most reliable VPN too. But now it’s not. NordVPN is. ExpressVPN has recently been struggling to unblock some big streaming sites – BBC iPlayer and BeIN Sports – too. And importantly, it ALWAYS has servers that are open with major streaming sites such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video etc. ExpressVPN is usually very good at playing Cat and Mouse with online streaming sites (apart from BBC iPlayer). Meaning, whenever one of its servers is blacklisted it creates a new one – giving its users a constant stream of servers that aren’t blocked. Needless to say, this is a valuable attribute if you’re looking for a VPN to unblock streaming sites. Its app is easy-to-use and free to download on pretty much any device you can think of. Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, FireStick, Android TV, Roku, PS4, Xbox, Linux, even Apple TV (with a workaround). It’s got it all covered. The app is another main reason this VPN is so good at unblocking TV streaming sites (that claim they block VPNs) is that its software takes a pragmatic approach to user management. While other VPNs tempt customers by promising them access to hundreds/thousands of servers in multiple countries, ExpressVPN does things differently. With ExpressVPN you only have a handful of server locations to choose from. Once you select your location the app takes care of the rest. Assigning you to the fastest available server that’s not oversubscribed. This simple technique is so important, as it keeps ExpressVPN’s servers operating at lightning-fast speeds and prevent its IPs from getting blacklisted for “abnormal” usage in the first place.
SPECIAL OFFER – 3-MONTHS FREE!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
SPECIAL OFFER – SAVE 82%!
(30-day money-back guarantee)
5. CyberGhostNumber of servers: 6,000+ | Speeds: >65% | Bandwidth: Unlimited | IP locations: 200 in 90 countries | Devices supported: 7 | Live chat: Yes | 30-day money-back guarantee: Yes CyberGhost is one of the more established VPNs on the market. It has a well-established, and well-tested global network of servers that perform well. From my tests over the past several months, CyberGhost has no trouble at unblocking major streaming services – US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max etc. This VPN performed well at maintaining download speeds, well above 65 per cent of my regular (non VPN) ISP speed. That said, there’s nothing really unique about the service. Which forces you to look at its price-point. And there’s nothing special here. Its short-term $12.99/month price tag puts is well above the industry average of $10.10/month. Similarly, its long-term $2.75/month for 3 years deal isn’t much of a “deal” either. Oddly, CyberGhost’s most unique feature is its a 1-day, no obligations, free trial. This is an appealing offer to customers who are new to VPNs. However, it’s important to remember that most reputable VPNs will offer customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so try not to be too seduced by the offer.
SPECIAL OFFER – 1-DAY FREE TRIAL
(30-day money-back guarantee)