Watching BBC iPlayer on your Apple TV from outside the UK is possible and really easy. However, the process isn’t the same as it watching BBC iPlayer (from outside the UK) is on your laptop, smartphone, iPad or even Fire TV Stick – because Apple TV doesn’t support VPNs.
If you want to watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV from outside the UK, you have two options:
Note: In order for both of these options to work you need two more things. A BBC account and a UK Apple account – both are free – once you’ve created a new Apple ID, you can add a new user on Apple TV, via settings, and download the BBC iPlayer app.
(See also: BBC iPlayer not working VPN: How to fix!)
How to watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV: Smart DNS Proxy
- Go to Smart DNS Proxy and register for a 14-day free trial (then $4.90/month)
- Activate your real IP address via the Account Home page
- Make a note of your nearest server addresses from www.smartdnsproxy.com/servers
- Go to Apple TV Settings > General > Network > Wifi/Ethernet > Click on your network > Configure DNS > Manual > Enter your DNS
- Enter the DNS address from step three
- Restart Apple TV
- Watch BBC iPlayer from anywhere in the world
If you’re looking to stream BBC iPlayer abroad, Smart DNS Proxy provides a reliable option. Smart DNS Proxy works with BBC iPlayer, US Netflix, Amazon Prime, ITV hub and literally hundreds of other streaming websites.
Smart DNS Proxy also lets you configure which IP location gets served to a specific website. This means you can easily set up your DNS to serve a US IP to Netflix while serving a UK IP address to BBC iPlayer; you can even configure it to serve a Saudi Arabian IP for BeIN Sports. All you need to do is change your DNS settings once.
Like any DNS or VPN service, the real value Smart DNS Proxy provides is uptime with streaming sites. This is the best DNS for providing its users for working IPs with BBC iPlayer.
There’s also a generous 14-day free trial, and you don’t even need to enter your credit card details, so you can test the server before deciding whether you want to pay $5/month.
Click here to get a 14-day free trial with Smart DNS Proxy.
How to watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV: DNS via ExpressVPN
Annoyingly, there isn’t an official ExpressVPN app available on the Apple TV App Store. This is because Apple hasn’t allowed ExpressVPN (or any VPN provider), to put its app on the Apple TV store.
Fortunately , ExpressVPN has a workaround in place that lets you use your VPN account to stream content from different regions on your Apple TV account.
There are a few steps involved. But it’s actually really easy. Here’s what you need to do.
- Get ExpressVPN ($6.66/month – with 30-day money-back guarantee)
- Go to My Account > DNS Settings > click Register my IP address
- Go to dynu.com and click Create Account.
- Next, select DDNS Services.
- Click + Add to add a DDNS service.
- Make one up a hostname – it can be literally anything – and select any Top Level domain
- Click + Add.
- You will now see your hostname in [square brackets] and your current public IP under IPv4 Address.
- Turn the following switches off: Wildcard IPv4 Alias; Wildcard IPv6 Alias; Enable IPv6 Address; Email Notification
- Copy your hostname and click Save
- Go to expressvpn.com/dns_settings and paste your hostname into the Dynamic DNS registration field
- Go to Setup Apple TV
- Make a note of the DNS address on the screen
- Turn on your Apple TV and go to Settings > General > Wifi/Ethernet > Click on your network > Configure DNS > Manual > Enter your DNS
- Enter new DNS address
- Restart Apple TV
Get ExpressVPN for $6.66/month – 30-day money-back guarantee
How to download BBC iPlayer app on Apple TV from outside the UK
Did you know you can register multiple accounts on your Apple TV device? This means you can have Apple accounts from the UK, US, and wherever you like, on your Apple TV.
Visit How to download BBC iPlayer app on Apple TV from outside the UK or follow simply the steps listed below:
- To add a UK account to your Apple TV the first thing you need to do is create a UK Apple Account. This is completely free and takes two mins to set up.
- Once you’ve created your new UK account. Turn on your Apple TV and navigate to Settings > Users and Accounts > Add New User.
- Next, select Continue, then select Enter New.
- Finally, you want to let the new user enter their iTunes Apple ID and password and click Sign In.
- You’ll now be able to switch between accounts by pressing and holding the Apple TV App/Home button.
- Select your UK account and open the App Store. You’ll now be able to download BBC iPlayer for free.
(Read next: Netflix Detecting VPN? There’s an EASY workaround!)